Call for a new head of secretariat
The European Students Union is looking for an experienced and committed individual to be our next Head of Secretariat.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: One-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of indefinite contract. Employment contract under Belgian employment law with a benefits package.
Salary: 3500eur to 4000eur gross salary per month depending on experience and seniority, plus legal benefits (transport, meal vouchers, telephone, etc.)
The Head of Secretariat (HoS) will manage the ESU Secretariat in Brussels monitoring its work and ensuring that duties and responsibilities are being fulfilled. Also, HoS will be responsible for maintaining the financial matters and administration of the organisation in order to meet internal and legal requirements.
The Head of Secretariat will respect the political guidance of the Executive Committee and will work under the guidance of the Presidency members.
The Head of Secretariat will be responsible for:
- Supervising and coordinating the work of the Secretariat;
- Be responsible for the daily functioning of the office of the European Students Union together with the Presidency;
- Overseeing all projects, in particular, coordinating budget preparation and checking with the Project Managers timesheets, incomes and expenses for each project. Projects include but may not only be limited to: the EU Operating grant, the CoE Structural Grant, EU funded and non-EU projects;
- Other related tasks to support the Executive Committee.
- Ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements,
- Maintaining employee records, preparing and submitting payroll information to the social secretariat and ensuring accurate payment of benefits and allowances in accordance with national legislation;
- Managing relations with the Belgian Administration
- Preparing the financial reports, budget monitoring and reporting as well as tax declarations together with the Executive Assistant and the Presidency member in charge of finances.
- Administering the finances of ESU as mandated by the Executive Committee under the coordination of the Presidency.
- Coordinating financial relations with member organisations;
- Managing relations with bank, external financial consultants and external auditors.
The position will require travelling in Europe.
Experience and Additional Requirements:
- University degree or equivalent in the field administration, management, law, international relations, economics, or social sciences;
- 5 or more years of relevant professional experience working with and/or leading private or public entities;
- Previous work experience managing financial and legal matters;
- understanding of the functioning of the EU institutions and stakeholder engagement with the EUs political priorities;
- understanding of EU Programmes, especially related to higher education, sustainability, equality, digital, green and just transformation.
- very good organisational, leadership and communication skills especially within a multicultural environment;
- full proficiency in English, spoken and written;
- good command of French will be looked at positively;
- good ICT skills (MS Office, MS project, Google Drive, etc.);
- a valid work permit of one of the EU countries.
ESU is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
If you are interested, please send your CV, motivation letter and 2 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline for applications: Monday 18th April 2022 23:59 pm.
Monday 28 march 2022